Custom Search

Sunday, August 10, 2008

MAKE A BONSAI

Creating your first bonsai is not as hard as you may think. In this section we will take you through four stages.

  • Selecting suitable stock to work with.
  • Selecting a suitable style for your tree and creating it.
  • Potting soils and wiring your tree.
  • Care and maintenance of your new bonsai.
  • If you follow these steps in progressive order you should end up with a passable tree that will only improve with age. Don’t be upset if it is not up to show standard on your first attempt, you will learn all the basic techniques in this exercise and the more you look at trees the more expert you will become.

    I still have the first tree I made although it has been through several incarnations and restyles and if I was doing it from start it would probably be quite different, but it still holds sentimental value.

    So start at stage one and return to this page until you have completed stage four.


    Then send me a photo I would love to put it on this site to inspire others to take up this absorbing hobby.

    Gibson on Blade Runner


    bq. "About ten minutes into Blade Runner, I reeled out of the theater in complete despair over its visual brilliance and its similarity to the "look" of Neuromancer, my [then] largely unwritten first novel. Not only had I been beaten to the semiotic punch, but this damned movie looked better than the images in my head! With time, as I got over that, I started to take a certain delight in the way the film began to affect the way the world looked. Club fashions, at first, then rock videos, finally even architecture. Amazing! A science fiction movie affecting reality!" "#":http://www.brmovie.com/FAQs/BR_FAQ_BR_Influence.htm

    Upon reading up on Moebius' "The Long Tomorrow":http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Long_Tomorrow, which I have incidentally read--I think I found it online at some point--I came across this old quote from Gibson, on him seeing Blade Runner for the first time. It's one of my favorite 'lil' nuggets', so there you go.

    All Consuming

    So after "my recent query":http://binarybonsai.com/archives/2006/07/09/bookicious/, "I'm currently trying out All Consuming":http://allconsuming.net/person/Heilemann/. It doesn't quite fill all the points I'd like it to, but then again what does? It could do with a face lift though.


    Letters From Lovecraft


    Having just rewatched In the Mouth of Madness, I was wetted for some more Lovecraft insight (having played an abundance of Call of Cthulhu in my youth), and that's when I came across "this little fact":http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_Lovecraft#Letters on Wikipedia:

    bq. Despite the fact that Lovecraft is mostly known for his works of weird fiction, the bulk of Lovecraft's writing mainly consists of voluminous letters about a variety of topics, from weird fiction and art criticism to politics and history. S. T. Joshi estimates that Lovecraft wrote about 87,500 letters from 1912 until his death in 1937 -- one famous letter from November 9, 1929 to Woodburn Harris being 70 pages in length. "#":http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_Lovecraft#Letters

    No comments: